Saturday 2 January 2016

Arishna-shunti uppinkayi !

Adu mavinakayi... aa.kayi... ee-kayhi alla. .. adu UPP-ina kayi !!

Aadra naa madiddu, arishna-shunti uppinkayi... :D

I did it ! I was dreaming of making this Turmeric-ginger-chilli pickle since the time I harvested my lovely turmeric, two days back. And here it is...

A very simple recipe that I came up with, from a mix of recipes. One from my neighbour and a from some recipes on the internet.

Ingredients
Turmeric: Quarter kilo.
Ginger:
Quarter kilo.
Green chillies: 100 grams
Lime juice: Of 8 limes
Mustard oil: 200 grams
Mustard: Two tea spoons
Fenugreek/Methi seeds: Two teaspoons
Salt: Two teaspoons
Asafoetida: Half teaspoon

Method

Wash the turmeric and ginger very well and coarsely scrape off the skin.

Dry the turmeric and ginger and slice them into slim roundels.
Wash and dry the green chillies and cut them into small roundels.
Squeeze out the juice of all eight limes, strain and add all of it to the turmeric-ginger-green chilli mix.
Add the salt.
Heat the mustard oil in a tempering vessel. Add fenugreek seeds and mustard and wait till the mustard sputters. Take care to see the fenugreek doesn't burn.
Add asafoetida, stir it in quickly ans turn off the flame.
Let the tempered oil cool down to room temperature. After it has cooled, add it to the turmeric-ginger-green chilli mix and stir it into the mix well.
Transfer the pickle to a pickle jar/glass bottle with a good airtight lid.
I keep this pickle in the sun or out in a warm place in the kitchen for three to four days, till it is improved and the turmeric and ginger have soaked in the lime juice and have released their flavours.

Note: I have added fairly less salt and oil, when compared to regular pickle recipes. More salt and oil is added to pickles, mainly to help preserve it for a long time. When you add less oil, try to finish the pickle soon, or it may grow fungus.













































































































  • Hmmm... Now just waiting for the pickle to improve and have it with breakfast, lunch and dinner... and maybe in between with snacks too !




     

2 comments:

  1. Lovely one Varsha. I too tried Turmeric pickle first time from our harvest and really but slowly falling in love with the taste. Yours pictute perfect !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Viji ! I have fond memories of my Granny making these pickles. Though I've started with pickles quite late, I'm glad I've started off and now I am on a pickle-making high... :)

      Delete