Friday 5 February 2016

All's okay that ends okay !

Gardening is an exercise in optimism. Sometimes,
it is a triumph of hope over experience.
Marina Schinz
A batch of lettuce seeds that didn't germinate for ages and made me almost lose hope in them , finally germinated after three whole months. Once they germinated, they just went on a crazy spurt of growth and within a few days they grew lush and healthy. Just that they were jostling for space in this 8" shallow pot . I was scared to pull them out and transplant them elsewhere, for the fear that I'd lose what I had so luckily got...

For a while, I kept harvesting some of the mature leaves from the outside and the plants kept sprouting new leaves. But the fact that there were close to hundred plus little plants that could thrive better in individual homes of their own, kept bothering me everyday, and finally a few of days back, I braved it !

I gingerly pulled out a few plants from in between and was relieved that none of them came out with damaged roots. By now the roots had gotten quite entangled and I had to be extra careful. I noticed, the "few" plants that I managed to pull out, turned out to be "quite a few". And what was left behind too were a quite a few. I shared a few with Mum and Bhuvan and all of the rest got transplanted into the beds in my meshed portion, that night. Transplanting done, I now had my fingers crossed and hoped they would all settle down well in their new habitat. It's four days since I transplanted them and yipeeee, each one of them has settled down well and I even see a couple of wispy little new leaves peeping out... 

As they say, all's okay that ends okay well with my Oak leaf lettuce and my little green patch eggs me on to take another risk and teaches me another beautiful lesson in optimism and hope ... :)















































































No comments:

Post a Comment