Sunday 14 February 2016

"My whole life has been spent waiting for an epiphany, a manifestation of God's presence, the kind of transcendent, magical experience that lets you
see your place in the big picture. And that is what I had with my first compost heap. I love compost and I believe that composting can save not the entire world, but a good portion of it."
Bette Midler

And much like Bette Midler, harvesting my very first pile of compost (Some years back...) was indeed a MAGICAL experience... It is sheer bliss to revel in the rich moist scent of fresh compost...! And today, even after I have lost track of how many baskets of compost I have harvested, the experience is not just the same, it is simply getting better. All the more enchanting...
I am so glad I am able to add vital richness to the soil in which I grow my vegetables. I'm excited that it is this pure 'Home-made' nutrition that adds that fresh and scrumptious zing to my vegetables and not those easily available, super tempting chemical nutrients.


I harvested the compost when it was about three fourths done. It was just the right consistency, neither too dry not too wet. Just moist enough. I had harvested it a couple of days back and kept it in a tub, covered with a cloth. I got time this morning to sieve it...









 I think the picture speaks well enough for the quality of the compost...












I had to unfortunately harvest a bunch of lovely green tomatoes, as the stem broke due to the weight of the tomatoes. Thankfully, there are quite a few tomatoes more to ripen and turn red...  














And that was followed by a trio of slender long chillies, that were just begging to be harvested...



















This is my composting corner in my patch. And there is Bhuvan, my buddy helping stir the half done compost after having fed it a small drink of buttermilk.









There... do you see my two earthen pots, my trusted, ever-faithful composting companions. And that is Rohan, my other buddy, helping with the seedling tray, on a lovely monsoon morning...

And here's the link to a post from my blog, where I have shared my very simple aerobic method of composting. The write up was written when I had my "Little green patch" in two narrow little balconies in the previous house and I did my composting too in that little space. Now I have shifted to an independent house (Still rented) on the ground floor and have continued my composting in the same two earthen pots, very successfully. I add all of my kitchen waste, garden waste and dry leaves into these pots. I now need to add two more pots, as the existing two are not enough to hold the extra wet (Kitchen) waste that my two neighbours are contributing.

The link: http://moushismagic.blogspot.in/2014/12/sharing-my-very-simple-aerobic-method.html

No comments:

Post a Comment