Saturday 12 March 2016

Methi, lettuce, parsley, brinjals and cherry tomatoes...


This morning's cheerful little harvest...

Fenugreek/Methi young greens, lettuce, parsley, brinjals and cherry tomatoes.

The methi is harvested from two beds in the meshed patch. This is from the seeds that I scatter along with mustard and dill, onto the beds and allow to grow for live mulching. I chop and drop the mustard and harvest the methi and dill as young greens. As soon as a harvest is done, I scatter more seeds (I don't soak or sprout the seeds before sowing. I have always been sowing seeds of all greens directly and that has always worked for me). I stagger the sowing between the beds (And pots/containers too), so I can harvest at regular intervals.

It is such a beautiful experience to forage for these fresh greens among the other greens and plants, early in the morning. And they never disappoint me. Every harvest gets me a nice big bunch of greens. Enough to make a dish for three or go into a good number of parathas. At times I get enough to go into a salad/raita and another dish. Most of the times I use these young greens fresh in salads or raitas. Or at the most add them in parathas or as a last minute addition to stir fries or curries, so they don't lose their freshness, colour and nutrients due to excessive cooking. I harvest my greens mostly as young greens, when they are still fresh and crunchy. I leave a few to mature, so they can flower and I am able to harvest a few seeds.  





















































































No comments:

Post a Comment