Tuesday 8 March 2016

My beautiful gift on women's day...

"When the world wearies and society fails to satisfy, there is always the garden." Minnie Aumonier

And yesterday evening, my garden did more than just satisfy. It inspired me to do something I was wanting to do from a long time, but wasn't able to because of various reasons. It egged me on to go to the myadar oni/bamboo bazaar, pick up some bamboo canes and senab/brown grocers rope. And yesterday evening saw me having the best time of my life, making three trellises (Of three different sizes) for my Turkey craw beans, yard-long beans and chayote/chow chow/seemey badnikayi.

It was all the more fun to do it by myself, without anyone getting in the way. I quickly wound up the cooking, dinner and cleaning up and set shop at around 8.30 pm. It was well past 10.30 pm, when I finally dropped down my tools, wiped the sweat off my brow, thirstily swallowed huge glugs of water and stepped back to survey my handiwork... I sure was tired, but the sheer joy coupled with a gargantuan sense of empowerment and achievement overshadowed the weariness. And as the Maha Shivaratri bhajanis in the neighbour's house gained tempo, I gingerly trained my delicate ballis/creepers onto their spanking new supports... I couldn't have received a better gift on Women's Day !!!

Now, it's just a matter of time for my creepers to go merrily clambering all over the trellises and add a delightful green charm to my patch.


Do you spy, what I spy ?









Let's get a bit closer...









Ah, there we have it ! The first trellis that I erected. This one is for my Turkey craw beans. I had sown eight seeds. All eight had germinated, but I lost two well-grown seedlings to a bandicoot attack.








A close up of the bean already creeping on the trellis...








Another close up... I made this trellis by fixing three bamboo canes in the ground and creating a wide mesh with senab/grocers rope. I have used double strands of the rope and fixed them as taut as I could, to make it strong enough. 









This is the second (Largest) trellis I put together. This one has three bamboo canes fixed across the three vertical ones and I have again fastened senab/grocer's rope in between the bamboo grid. This one is for my yard-long beans and one chayotee/chow chow/semey badnikayi that growing in between the yard-long beans.









Looking at the trellis for the yard-long beans from the behind, glowing in the bright summer morning's light...





























One of the yard-long beans hurrying up the trellis...









Another, getting ready...









And the chayote/chow chow/semey badnikayi, preparing to begin it's vertical journey...









And this is the third (Smallest) trellis I made for more of my yard-long beans.









And this is the third (Smallest) trellis I made for more of my yard-long beans.









A side view... and there you see the yard-long beans clambering up.



















The yard-long beans in large earthen pots and one half of a mineral water can. Very soon the roots of these creepers with find their way out of the drain holes and creep into the earth... That will strengthen them and help them grow healthier and more lush.







































The bamboo canes haven't been tied randomly. I have maintained a uniform pattern while wrapping the rope around the canes. Ha ha ha ! That's my aesthetic sense working overtime...









Another pattern with wrapping the rope around the canes...









No comments:

Post a Comment