Wednesday 22 April 2015

A look at what the bandicoots have left me...

“It takes courage to be happy, you know-even when you keep moving. It takes guts to accept things as they really are and not blame life for being what it is.”
Martha Woodroof

The bandicoots sure have done a lot of damage, but at the same time they have still left quite a bit for me... That's because the loss in the ground garden has been less in comparison to the loss in my pots, bottles and containers on the wall. 

I tried to give the bandicoots one last chance last night and sealed every inlet or hole that I could find and was up till 3.00 am...! I finally slept with the reassurance that they were completely blocked from coming in. But when I stepped into my LGP early in the morning, I saw one well grown and now flowering brinjal plant uprooted from the pot and fallen out ! It's beyond my imagination, how they must have sneaked in...!!!

But thankfully it was just one plant ! Near to no damage in comparison to the earlier attacks...

A look at what the bandicoots have left me...


 If you ignore what the bandicoots have damaged, my garden still looks so lush and beautiful...








 The beans and gourds and cucumbers have all taken off very well.










 And it is a joy to see them clambering onto the coconut frond-stakes I've erected for them.








 They do make a pretty sight ! The climbers as well as the fronds...








 It's a joy to watch new life in my garden...





























 The first batch of bhendi/okra/ladies finger I transplanted are doing well and giving me the first few lovely bhendis...








 And some beautiful blooms !








 The new bhendis that I directly sowed into the ground too are coming up pretty well.








 And finally, it is so exciting to see brinjals growing in my garden... Must bow to these brinjal plants. The bandicoots keep uprooting them and I keep transplanting them... And except for one that didn't recover, all the other five plants are doing well. Touch wood and fingers crossed my dear folks...


























 Lost an entire patch of methi of about 3'/1' ! But, this is how lush the methi that the bandicoots left for me is growing...!








 A variety of beans happily clambering onto another kind of stake that I fashioned out of the coconut stalks or trusses that hold the coconuts.








A patch of coriander that germinated recently. Growing coriander in the ground after long. Hope they grow well...









 Colocasia doing really well. Right now, I have two plants and hoping to add more after the bandicoot problem is solved. Just waiting to make "Aalu vadis"/Colocasia leaf fritters. Yummm...! I so love them !









 Moolangi that I sowed last week. Most of them have germinated. I am growing them more for the lovely refreshing greens, for I don't expect moolangis to really form in this heat. But then if a few do form, that would be a deliciously fantastic bonus !








Lost a whole bunch of ten well formed cluster bean plants to the bandicoots. These are the latest batch that I sowed directly. They seem to be doing well as of now. Hope I am able to solve the bandicoot problem soon, so they survive...








 Bush beans that I sowed directly in the ground...








 Another variety of beans that I transplanted, taking off to a beautiful start...








 The first of the bush beans !!










 Newly transplanted capsicum plants making an admirable attempt at settling down. My well grown and just-begun-to-fruit capcisum plants were the first that fell victim to the bandicoot attacks and I ended up losing twelve precious plants ! But I still have hope with these new beauties...









 The only pea pod that I was able to harvest from my eight pea plants growing very well in a trough. They were growing much better than the ones in the ground and were in full bloom. But alas, they had to all die. The bandicoots ravaged them beyond recognition. And this little pod was hanging on for dear life...









 The bandicoots destroyed a few of the ground peas and I have a few remaining to make me smile...








 The bandicoots did not spare my seedlings trays ! I lost most of the seedlings and here is one gritty seedling that managed to survive...









 One set of bean seedlings that the bandits spared and which need to be transplanted soon...








 Lost about five bearing chilliplants. Two survived the transplant, have flowered and are sporting a few chillies too...








 Aah hah...! Here's the lone capsicum survivor, from a set of eight that were growing in containers. I have just transplanted it recently, trimmed it today and am hoping it survives...








Mint doing really well in the summer sun...!















 Lost one strawberry plant to the workers who flicked it, one to the bandicoots and I have two surviving. I am a bit doubtful about the survival of one and this other has chosen to flower now...








 Lost six cabbage plants that were growing well. What I have left with me, is this one that grew out of the old stump...








 The bandicoots got three out of six parsley pots...









 Marigolds adding their cheerful charm to my garden...


















Bhuvan my best friend, comes every morning without fail to help me in my garden. Here, her is watering the brinjal plant that I re-planted just this morning after the bandicoot pullet it out of the pot... We are both hoping it survives...








Sheetal and Pavith, my niece and nephew from B'luru, trying their hand at watering my garden...

No comments:

Post a Comment