Saturday 4 April 2015

My new LGP is growing...

My new LGP is growing...
A five-day break for my nephew's wedding and a series of workshops after returning, hasn't seen me doing as much work as I would have loved to in my garden.

The volunteer amaranthus and tomatoes, are of course heading towards breaking records for me and the assorted herbs and vegetables in my pots and containers are (touch wood) all doing well. I've recently sowed a few greens and some beets too in containers.

And here's what happening at ground level in my meshed up portion. I have yard long beans, peas, casicum, bhendi and some doddapatre/Indian borage in the first bed. The peas are taking their own sweet time to grow in comparison to their counterparts in containers, that are already flowering. The bhendi seedlings that I transplanted were the ones that had gotten caught in the freak rains and were kinda battered, but alive. They seem to have just now started off with new shoots. I have recently sown some bhendi seeds directly in this bed. The Capsicum seem to be doing ok and are sporting little peppers. The doddapatre/Indian borage, that I had planted as small cuttings have settled down well and are now growing new leaves. Doddapatre is part of my growing-herbs-in-between-veggies-to-act-as-pest repellants/trap crops plan. I have right now placed marigolds in small pots in between the plants. I'll soon be adding more basil and other herbs to this bed. The yard long beans have taken off very well and are growing the best. Just this morning I managed to make simply stakes with the front halves of coconut fronds and will now tie brown grocers rope from the top of the stakes to the mesh above for the beans to clamber onto. The coconut fronds are the ones that fall from the four coconut trees in our compound. I'm waiting to collect more of these fronds and make my leaf composting enclosure in one corner of the backyard. The leaves from the compound and neighbourhood are gradually getting collected. One good news is, friends and neighbours are slowly warming up to my gardening and a couple have even started contributing their kitchen waste. Just this evening, a family friend dropped by to see my LGP and promised to regularly donate leaves from their garden.

That apart, this morning, I managed to start off one two more beds in line with the first one. And the first to get planted were two colocassia plants. Hoping to transplant some cucumber, beans, gourds and chillies and plant more herbs and marigolds in these two beds in the next few days.

































































No comments:

Post a Comment