Tuesday 28 April 2015

And finally a "before and after" happens !


 "To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves."
Mahatma Gandhi

I'm so glad I learnt to dig the earth and tend to the soil, all because my Granny and then my Mum didn't forget to... I owe my passion for gardening and growing vegetables to both of these wonderfully awesome women !

And today I'm so excited, I'm able to do a before and after with my new " LGP, my little green patch"

Of this 9'/40' space, I've been able to use only the length along the compound wall. I've been able to make four beds of about 3'/7'. And that's where almost all of my vegetables are growing. And then I have the narrow ledge along the wall, where I've housed my pots and containers. The length alongside the house cannot be used as the ground there is very hard and full of stones and building rubble. I have to yet clear it up, level it and probably pave it to use it for my potted vegetables and as a space to sit when I have my workshops. I have a limited budget this time too and am making do with available resources. Though we shifted here in mid January, I began work in my LGP, only in March after my vacations started. It's been a slow and steady progress because, apart from the first time when I got two guys to help dig, I have done everything on my own. One bed at a time... Two months later, and lashing rains and bandicoot attacks apart, I am more than proud to showcase my new LGP ! I have been harvesting loads from my volunteer A & T patch and quite a bit from my pots and containers, but from my ground patch, it's just been a few greens here and a couple of vegetables there till now. I am yet to see big harvests, as most of the plants are in the growing stage and quite a few that I have just planted/sowed... My ground patch is in the growing stage and I have all the patience to wait...


And now, let me allow the pictures to do the rest of the talking...








Before... View from the backyardOf this 9'/40' space, I've been able to use only the length along the compound wall. I've been able to make four beds of about 3'/7'. And that's where almost all of my vegetables are growing. And then I have the narrow ledge along the wall, where I've housed my pots and containers.









 Before... View from the front






 After !
Two months later...










































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment