Saturday 12 September 2015

Solanum nigrum and childhood memories...


These black little berries are a beautiful part of my childhood memories

Solanum nigrum or Black nightshade, Kakke soppu in Kannada and Manathakkali soppu in Tamil. I have beautiful memories of popping these sweet-salty little berries in my mouth as we played in Granny's backyard as kids. Solanum nigrum grows wild around Dharwad and I luckily have loads of it growing in my backyard.

I know , it is pretty popular as an edible greens with my Tamil and Telugu friends. But unfortunately, we haven't been adventurous enough with this plant. O ut here in Dharwad (North Karnataka in general), it is only the berries that are popular. That too with kids. I did try using the leaves in dal once and couldn't really take to the flavour. If I could get hold of some authentic recipes, I wouldn't mind trying it out once again...

Recipes and culinary adventures apart, I love the plant ! The attractive leaves, the wispy little white flowers and the pretty bunches of those teeny-weeny green-black berries, lend a beautiful charm to their surroundings. And right now, I am enjoying the charming aesthetic appeal and having fun eating a few of these burst-in-your-mouth flavoursome berries every morning, while I walk around my backyard...
 
































No comments:

Post a Comment