Monday 15 December 2014

Coriander in my little green patch, once again !


And hmmmm... I'm in love all over again !!

I know, I've said that a million times earlier... But hey, so what ! My little green patch gives me so many reasons to fall in love over and over again. And it's so beautiful to be in constantly in love...

And then, what a wonderful way to begin the day !! A beautiful morning and the most glorious sight I could ever lay my eyes on... All of my coriander that I sowed last Sunday, have germinated and looking so pretty. This I'm sure is a sight every gardener would be dreaming of ! 

I have had a bitter-sweet relationship with the delectable herb coriander, in my little green patch and in both my innings at gardening. Way back in the 90s and now since a year and a half. Coriander for me has always been a moody, yet pretty hardy and fuss-free herb when it does decide to make up it's mind. Over the years with so many trials and errors, failures and successes, angst and excitement, I've found, a lot depends on the quality of the seeds. Good quality and fresh seeds go a long way in ensuring a success rate with germination. And of course, a good potting mix does add to a lush and healthy growth.

Ironically, my seeds this time aren't from Ajja's shop. These are the the only seeds from Ajjas' that haven't worked from me, but it's mostly been the ones I buy from the local nursery that have proved successful. Strange, but true ! And my potting has always been a very simple 1:1 proportion of soil and compost with some neem cake powder thrown in for good measure. I halve the seeds before sowing them. I scatter them pretty dense and cover them with about a centimetre of potting soil. Watering is a careful and gentle spraying till the true leaves appear. And after that a mild watering with my bottle with a hole in the cap only once a day, unless they look really wilted. My coriander this time, is growing in 4" and 6" plastic pots.

Apart from seeds not germinating at times, I have not faced any other problems with my coriander. Many a times, I have given a miss to growing coriander, because of my space constraints and also because of the fact that I've found quite a few other substitutes to coriander like, ajwain and dill greens. But, it's been quite some time since refreshing green coriander greens bobbed their pretty selves in my little green patch and I gave in to the temptation...

I'm more than excited to see them having germinated so well. Just a glance and I go weak in the knees and a beautiful warm fuzzy feeling envelops me... I'm sure the rest of the day is going to go in a beautiful haze... And now, it's going to be fingers crossed till they don't settle down well and grow scores of true leaves and spread their subtly aromatic beauty all through my little green patch...





































Coriander in a take-away container from my last time a couple of months back.

2 comments:

  1. Your presentation skills are so artistic, Varsha! Beautiful!!

    Regarding growing corianders, this post resonates with me, although i always grow with my kitchen spice corianders. I crush them and sow, most of them germinate and grow well, but they are so leggy and short. They don't grow to good heights. But as you say, the very sight of the germination and the micro greens holding on to the seed at the edges are such a beautiful sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Asha, thanks there !!

    The only two reasons I can think of for coriander turning leggy and not growing tall enough are, lack of enough sunlight and a not enough nutrients in the potting mix. But, if you have both, I wonder what the reason could be.
    I rarely let mine grow to full maturity and harvest them while they are still young and fresh. But again, whatever the quality or quantity of the produce, just the fact that coriander is growing in my garden is a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete