Monday 22 December 2014

Yipeee... lettuce seeds from my little patch !

Flowers of the Lola rosa lettuce






Flowers of the Lola rosa lettuce







Freshly harvested seeds of the Lola rosa lettuce







Seeds of the Lola rosa lettuce








Seeds of the Iceberg lettuce


A dream come true for every organic gardener growing vegetables, would be to harvest seeds from his garden and grow them back again...

From the past year and a half, it has been my consistent dream too. In my semi-shaded balconies, my plants rarely bolt and even if they do, the flowers aren't as healthy as the ones grown in good sunlight would be. The resultant seeds too are just a meagre amount and sometimes not large and healthy enough. But nevertheless, I have been able to collect some seeds of palak, amaranth, mustard, kasuri methi, ajwain, moolangi/radish, pundi soppu/sorrel and now some seeds of lettuce. Unfortunately I have to miss out on the joy of sharing these seeds and seeing my joy multiply, as the seeds are very few.

Well, this is just the beginning and I hope in the future, with a better place and better resources, I will be able to collect more seeds and eventually get to live my dream of collecting and sharing seeds from my garden. And right now, even if the Iceberg and Lola rosa lettuce seeds are just a few, I am excited and the sense of achievement in immense...!!

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to the seed saving achievement! and i can relate to this. I recently saved thai basil seeds and shared it with family and friends. BTW, i am besotted by those lovely clicks up there Varsha. Your work ground should be larger and should have wide reach. Lifestyle mags might grab your pics for your artistic skills.Do water mark them.

    ReplyDelete