Sunday 28 December 2014

And hey, look at what my prize-cabbage turned into...!

The highlight of this afternoon's lunch... Roast cabbage with rosemary and garlic chives too from the garden. Had with some fresh and crunchy lettuce and parsley on the side. And for dessert, there was a slice of freshly baked "carrot and dates" cake.

And guess where the sweet cherry tomatoes were found? In the compound of one of the houses we went to see. The compound was overgrown with tall winter grass and weeds and when we went up to take a look at the terrace, I spied some red spots among the grass. Found it to be a sprawling cherry tomato vine. Collected a bowlful of these red and sweet cherries. Have been snacking on them as is for the last two days and this afternoon added a few coarsely chopped ones into the dressing for the roast cabbage and finished the rest of them alongside...

Since my prize-cabbage decided to stay with me, I decided to do something special with it and "Roast cabbage"it had to be...!


























And folks, here's the very simple recipe...

The main ingredient: A young tender cabbage

For the dressing/marinade:

Any cooking oil- 2 table spoons
*I used mustard oil
Lime juice- One whole lime
Chilli flakes/powder- About a teaspoon
Salt to taste
Rosemary- 3 sprigs, finely chopped
Garlic- 8 to10 cloves, finely chopped
Cherry tomatoes- About 6, coarsely chopped
If you don't have cherry tomatoes, you can use a small sized regular tomato
Cheese- one regular cube, grated
*I used an Amul cheese cube

Method:
Cut the cabbage into eight portions by slicing downwards. Be careful not to slice right through to the bottom. Mix the ingredients for the dressing/marinade well and pour it all over the cabbage. Ensure that it flows well into all the cuts. Bake in a regular microwave oven on the highest temp., for about 15 minutes. Check if it's cooked enough. I prefer to have it well baked, but with a crunch. If you want it softer, let it bake for a couple of minutes more.

I garnished it with a dash of lime and finely chopped fresh garlic chives straight from the garden, just before having it. I had my crunchy lettuce and parsley alongside and a slice of my "carrot and dates" cake...









1 comment: