Saturday 13 December 2014

My super-hero bean !





“The thing about a hero, is even when it doesn't look like there's a light at the end of the tunnel, he's going to keep digging, he's going to keep trying to do right and make up for what's gone before, just because that's who he is.”
Joss Whedon

Presenting my HERO, my INSPIRATION for the day and for days to come...
My little green patch has been inspiring me endlessly and throwing up opportunities every other day to motivate me. But this 'BEAN' was a special HERO for sure ! And it inspired me like never before...!

It has been through adversities galore right from the day I sowed a few beans three months back... Out of the six seeds I sowed, only this tenacious one sprouted to show the world that it was made of sterner stuff than the rest, that it was ready to take on this green world full of uncertainties, yet with plenty of hope and miracles if one has the guts to believe in dreams and the determination to go on...

Day three, and on my morning rounds, I spied this tender seedling uprooted by some large ants... But it still managed to smile at me perkily, as if to say- “I don't want to give up ! I want to live...” I transplanted it into another container that I'd just prepared the last evening...

Everything seemed hunky-dory for about a fortnight and I rejoiced when I saw sets of new leaves springing all along the now slender and tall stem... That's when fate decided to put my HERO to the test all over again...!! That morning I found the same leaves that looked so pretty with a lovely refreshing green hue, having been attacked by a caterpillar and looking all cut up, ugly and haggard... Could I blame the caterpillar...? Nah ! How could I blame something that was fending for food... Just that, unfortunately, my 'BEAN' turned out to be his plate of yummies ! I carefully deposited the caterpillar outside the compound in some bushes. I cried to see my naked 'BEAN' looking so forlorn, steadied the soil around it's base, gently snipped off all the deformed leaves and consoled it lovingly.

Miracles never cease to surprise me in my little green patch...! And to prove that once again... Lo and behold, just a day after, and my bean had once again sprouted the freshest and perkiest little leaves... A full half-a-dozen of them...! Wow ! I was amazed at the grit, the determination, the tenacity of my slender little 'BEAN' And, there was another HERO emerging on the horizon...
But, I think fate had something else in store for my gritty 'BEAN'. It probably felt my 'BEAN' wasn't HERO enough yet... Early one morning, about two months since I'd sown this BEAN, I heard a 'THUD' from the garden and ran from the kitchen into the garden, all the while hoping none of my bottles/pots had toppled... To my surprise, our guest also shot out of his room towards the garden...! It so happened that, he forgot my instructions about not opening the shutters of this window but of the one on the other side, and the pot that was kept on the sill came crashing down...! My 'BEAN' was crushed under the weight of the pot...!! I quickly lifted away the pot to see that the slender stem had broken at three places and almost all the leaves had been crushed... After convincing him that his pangs of guilt were unfounded, I cleared up the place, carefully snipping off the injured leaves, steadying my 'BEAN', and propping it back on it's bamboo stake, I tied pretty ribbons to cheer up my 'BEAN'. For by now, even I had come to believe in my 'BEAN'S' determination to put all the adversities of the past in their rightful place- 'The past',,,and of making it there, come-what-may...! I was equally determined and believed that my 'BEAN' would make it for sure... Even Mum who visited that day said, let go of it, it seems to have lived it's life... But both my 'BEAN' and me looked back at Mum with a classic look of- “Are you crazy ! We're not gonna give up so soon...!!”

About a week later, my spanking new HERO shot back to life and bobbed about with new leaves looking all bright and cherry... And two days later I spied two pretty little pristine white buds peeping from under the leaves... I was filled with pride for my 'BEAN' and congratulated it handsomely ! And exactly a week later, the FIRST BEAN, dangled teasingly from the slender plant and right below that was a second smaller one just beginning to take it's fledgling flight into adulthood... as if to say- “Here I am, making up for all that went before me...”
This was two days days back... Yesterday evening when I took time from my guests to check on my garden, I spied the first bean had grown quite big and ready to be plucked and there were many other flowers down along the plant... As usual I congratulated my plant, and slipped in a few words of praise... and “All's well that ends well...” is what I thought with a content smile...

But, my 'BEAN' was not cut out to be just a HERO... It was destined to be a SUPER HERO !! For this morning, when I stepped into my garden I was greeted by a sight that every gardener dreads...! The first major accident in my garden...! The mineral water can in which my 'BEAN' was growing happily, lay upturned on the ground... Most of my 'BEAN' was buried under the heavy soil and what was exposed of it's slender self, was this time broken apart literally into shreds...!! I was too shocked to even react... Tears just rolled down my cheeks involuntarily... That's when, through the teary haze I saw the small portion with the two beans lying intact nearby, looking as cheerful as ever, like nothing had ever happened...!!

I knew my 'BEAN' was telling me something... inspiring me even in it's last moments... to not grieve over what had happened, however traumatic it may have been, but to shove all of that into the past, keep only the beautiful memories and never give up... never give up...! One opportunity may be lost, but there are many yet to come... and HEROES don't give up, they keep trying... for that's what they are- 'HEROES'

The two little beans went into the day's sambar and the remnants of my 'BEAN' plant went to a special heaven, my compost bin...! And in a while my 'SUPER HERO' BEAN turned into beautiful rich black compost and gave enriching life to so many other plants...

RIP my dearest 'BEAN' my SUPER HERO...!!

No comments:

Post a Comment