Wednesday 10 December 2014

November 30

Yipeeeee and double Yipeeeee...!!
I harvested the first small batch of Turmeric just a while back and I am feeling so excited. I have grown Ginger earlier, but this is my very first time with turmeric !
Two of my three turmeric plants had wilted completely. A sign that the corms are ready. Last evening I rummaged in the soil around the fully wilted two and felt some lumps. Got excited and this morning, the first thing I did was very enthusiastically pull out the two stumps. I was quite excited and at the same time a bit confused with what I found. I wasn't sure if this was really a yipee-worthy harvest,as it was my first time and I had loads of questions and doubts. I separated the large corms from the clump of roots and left the smaller ones intact, as a clump.
Thankfully, my more-experienced organic gardening friends helped review my harvest and thankfully my excitement was justified. Not a bad harvest at all considering the small size of the container, but could have been much better if I'd let them be for another month or so. They would have gotten a deeper colour too. Now I have decided to put back all the root clumps and harvested corms into new containers and let them grow again. With many new lessons learnt, I'm ready to wait for another year for a better harvest...For, that's what gardening's all about, isn't it ? Many valuable lessons to be learnt at every step, with loads of patience and hope...
Glad to add another interesting aromatic facet to my little green patch...



















 The remaining roots with some very young corms, that got planted back into the soil.





The other plant that is still growing lush. A couple more of months I suppose for harvest time.

By the way, in my excitement, I just forgot to wonder about the light colour of my freshly harvested turmeric. I posted my pictures happily on my group OTG and kept getting a string of appreciating comments. It is only when a friend voiced her doubt and asked me to check if it was Mango Ginger, did I scrape off a bit and hold it to my nose. Lo and behold !! The tangy awesome fragrance was unmistakable. My turmeric turned out to be some beautiful Mango ginger !! It was indeed a case of, "All's well that ends well."

No comments:

Post a Comment